Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Bohemian Rhapsody (Epilogue)

An "Adult" Ice Cream for Amy
Before setting out for Chattanooga Saturday morning, I was responding to some comments on my blog. I mentioned in passing to Esther that I was basically “losing” my daughter that day, as she was moving out on her own, possibly for good.

A few minutes later, my good friend Queenie said, “Go out for ice cream with your daughter.”

I thought about that off and on throughout the day, but never saw a place in the downtown Chattanooga area where we might get some ice cream.

Now it was time for Amy to drive me home. We were heading through downtown for I-24 and Nashville when I spied a Starbucks. “Pull over," I said. “Let’s get something for the road.”

“What do you feel like,” I asked.

“Something cold and fruity.” She said

I thought, “Well there you go, Queenie.”

Minutes later I reappeared with a Strawberries and Crème Frappuccino for Amy: a fitting treat for my adult baby girl.

The trip home was filled with more great conversation. I told Amy about this blog, that she was going to be featured prominently in it, but that I didn’t want anyone else in our family to know about it just yet.

It was a great day. It was an emotional day. And while I may be losing my little girl, I‘m definitely gaining a friend.

I look forward to watching that friendship grow.


Finis
blog comments powered by Disqus