Friday, May 28, 2004

A Memorial Weekend Memorial

As this Memorial Day holiday weekend approaches, I can hardly believe that it's been 4 years since the passing of my Step-Mom on May 29, 2000. I'm not sure how much I'll end up writing about her in this blog, because we had such a love-hate relationship, which I have so many mixed feelings about, that I'm sure it would be impossible to properly explain. It was one of those "I guess you just had to be there" kind of things.

To an outsider, a description of what I went through for the six years I lived under her authority might surely seem like a day in the life of an Auschwitz inmate. But what I gained from her "tough love" has become more valuable to me than I could ever express. I have too much respect for her memory to leave her methods hanging out there for interpretation by others who may not understand the circumstances that shaped her own world view, and the values that she saw fit to raise me with. But she did more to mold my concept of right and wrong, my sensibilities about responsibility and respect, than anyone else in my life. And for that I'll be eternally grateful

Yesterday I spoke about seeing the Beatles in concert when I was 8 years old as one of my life's defining experiences. Well, four years ago this weekend was another one. I had the honor of delivering the eulogy at her funeral. It was nearly an out-of-body experience for me and something that I credit as the beginning of my current love for writing (as weird as that might seem). It was the first time I can recall really thinking about the significance of what I was writing, and I've kind of been doing it ever since.

So here's to ya Mom. And thanks again...
blog comments powered by Disqus