Friday, July 23, 2004

Referrer Blogging

**Updated 5:30 PM CDT, 07-23-04**

Who goes there!
I check ‘em all the time. I’ll bet you do too.

What am I talking about?

Referrer logs.

Please forgive me for gettin’ my geek on here, but I’m pretty sure that most of you are at least familiar with what I’m talking about. If you use any number of blog utilities from Site Meter, Nedstat, BlogPatrol and others, you can view a listing of all the visitors to your blog at any given time. Most of these utilities will also provide the referring links from which your blog visitors originated. If there is no referring URL, that usually indicates that the visitor is linking directly to your site from a browser bookmark or is just typing the URL in manually.

The plain English translation of this is, I can see you. I know who visits my blog on a daily basis, whether they leave a comment or not. Among my regular commentors, I know many of you almost as well by your ISP names and IP addresses as I do by your actual names. Of course if you’ve never left a comment, I may be able to see your IP address (which identifies your ISP, but not necessarily you individually), but there’s no way for me to specifically identify you in these logs. Well there really is, but I wouldn’t go that far…*LOL*.

The point is, by virtue of examining referrer’s logs, some time ago I began to notice that quite a few of you have honored me by linking my blog to yours, often without my having even realized it. You all visit regularly, some several times per day. Some announce their presence on nearly every post, and others seldom, if ever, comment at all. Yet I know that you are here — and that always makes me smile.

This is long overdue. I just want to take the opportunity here to say to each of you…

Thank You...

Aimee (Random Thoughts)
CCC (Facts About C)
C.E. (Visit My Little World)
Esther (Life in Pretoria or is that Tswane?)
Fleece (Sheeply Thoughts)
Inanna (Anything Goes)
Jake (Clockwork Holiday)
Jamie (Margaritaville)
Johnny5 (What's a Year in Forever)
K (Less Than Lucid)
Kimber (In Rememberance of Me)
Leese (Leese Online)
Maddy (Maddysmind)
Phoebe (Phoebe Moons)
Vadergrrrl (Vadergrrrl's Rant Page)

If you've linked to my blog and aren't listed here, please forgive me. This is based on my HaloScan and SiteMeter logs, going back several days and/or weeks. Please let me know and I’ll be happy to add you to the list.

Thank you for supporting me with your comments. Thank you for inspiring me with your words, both here and on your own blogs. Thank you for giving me the juice to keep writing (hopefully) every day.

I visit many of you each day as well, although I’ve been quite remiss in doing so over the past couple of weeks, and for that I apologize.

I won’t be doing much, if any posting this weekend. I’m going to try to take the time I have to catch up on what I’ve been missing on my fellow blogger’s pages.

**Update...However tonight I will be doing something fun. I just got a call from my ol' pizza buddy McGriff to hang with him and his GF to go see They Might Be Giants, who are playing at an outdoor venue tonight here in Nashville. Michelle's friend from Memphis is coming for the weekend, so she'll be occupied with her anyway. This should be cool. I've wanted to see this offbeat band for a long time, and it'll be good to see McGriff again for the first time in several months. I may have a brief concert review up by Sunday.

Have a great weekend everyone, and thank you again so very much for the special sense of community that you all contribute here in our little corner of blogland, and the lift that you give me personally each and every day.


AJ
blog comments powered by Disqus