Monday, August 23, 2004

Portfolio

Here are a few illustrations I pulled out of mothballs and scanned to leave you with while I'm in Sunny California. A few people had requested I post some stuff. It's hard to believe that I haven't so much as picked up a paintbrush in nearly fifteen years. However it's something I definitely miss and will certainly get back into someday.


This is for Lovisa.
This was from an assignment in college to depict an animal performing a human activity. The t-shirt was the favorite one I had at the time, since I was a certifiable Dr. Pepper-aholic. I soon graduated to coffee.  Posted by Hello


Pete Rose
Back when he was actually a good guy, and my favorite baseball player. This was one of a series of illustrations that were a part of my senior project.  Posted by Hello


This is for Burner.
It's part of another series of illustrations I did in college, in tribute to some of the great gymnasts I competed against over the years. This is former Olympian, Bart Connor, who interestingly, ended up marrying the immortal Rumanian gymnast, Nadia Comeneci. Umm...the years have not been kind to Nadia, BTW...ZOIKES!  Posted by Hello


From way back in the archives...
Superman, from Dec. 30, 1966, when I was 10 years old.  Posted by Hello


A couple years later...
From 1968, 12 years old and full-on into my "Marvel phase." I'm sure I did a hundred pictures of Spiderman, but unfortunately, this is the only one I still have.  Posted by Hello


A "League" of my own.
Also from 1968, I got bored with the Justice League of America, so I created one of my own. The Challengers was a group of superheroes I created, but never quite developed. The group consisted of the likes of "The Champ," "The Raven," "Diskman," "Energy Man," "Mental Man," "Solarman," and my all-time fave, "Athleto."  Posted by Hello


AJ as "Athleto"
In 1976, my sophomore year in college, I took a Life Drawing class and our final project was to draw a "self-portrait comic strip." Well this was a no-brainer for me. I knew in a hot second what I would portray myself as. I was gonna be my favorite self-creation, Athleto. And it just so happened that I had a brand new pair of ski goggles I was quite fond of, hense my "disguise." I was also a big Addidas tennis shoe fan back then, and their logo was...well...perfect for my purposes. And if you don't catch the "Montreal" reference, the Olympics were held there in 1976.

So one all-nighter and numerous copyright infringements later, my introduction into comic lore was secured. This was as much fun, but also as hard as anything I've ever done, and was horribly rushed. But I was still pretty happy with the results, as was my professor.

This is the opening page. there are two more to follow.  Posted by Hello


"A Mess in Montreal" (Page 2 of 3)  Posted by Hello


"A Mess in Montreal" (3 of 3)  Posted by Hello


"Athleto" pencil studies  Posted by Hello

That's it for now. This may be my last post for a while, but I'll do my best to get to a computer and report in at some point next week from LA LA Land.

Y'all don't burn down the place while I'm away now, ahiiight?

Take care, all...
blog comments powered by Disqus